Department: School of Health Sciences
Type: Faculty, Full-time (August-May), Non-Tenure-Track
Stephens College is seeking an Assistant Professor to join our Health Information Management program. Stephens College has a longstanding history of providing a robust and innovative undergraduate CAHIIM accredited online Health Information Administration (HIA) program and now offers an online Master of Science in Health Information Management (HIM) program. Our faculty are committed to preparing graduates who excel as health information management professionals. This position reports to the Dean, School of Health Sciences.
The successful candidate will instruct online courses in the HIA/HIM curriculum in the areas of health information and informatics management. Candidates should have online adult education experience with knowledge in medical coding, healthcare finance and reimbursement, health informatics, project management, data and information management, health data analytics and statistics, clinical research or grant writing to effectively teach course content in both the undergraduate and graduate curriculum within the HIM and HIA programs. We are seeking a candidate who will collaboratively and energetically support the HIA/HIM programs in course and curriculum development, assessment, and help maintain the high quality of instruction that is the hallmark of Health Information Management education at Stephens College.
- Participate in the development, implementation, evaluation and revision of program curriculum, policy, procedures, and outcomes as appropriate to maintain accreditation of degree program.
- Participate in student advising and mentoring, and assessment of student achievement and progress.
- Conduct research relevant to the program and the profession, and promote scholarly activity by the health information management faculty and students.
- Communicate results of research to the profession-at-large via presentations and publications.
- Serve on program, School of Health Sciences and College committees.
- Emphasize a student-centered learning environment through active engagement.
- Adhere to all faculty requirements such as facilitating and engaging in classroom discussion boards, grading assignments and responding to student inquiries in a timely manner.
- Consistently foster critical thinking through challenging students to elaborate on their thoughts, question their assumptions, examine biases, communicate in a clear and concise manner, and defend their positions throughout the course.
- Provide instructive feedback that challenges and inspires students while providing specific suggestions to improve the quality of their work and thinking
- Effectively demonstrates high expectations throughout the course, while holding students accountable for insightful exchanges and high quality performance on assignments, and promoting active engagement in their own learning
- Effectively and consistently utilize expertise in subject matter by providing personal experiences, connecting course knowledge to real-world examples. Enhances course content and resources to encourage student comprehension and application of course learning outcomes
- Master’s degree from a regionally accredited university in Health Information Management, Health Informatics, Health Care Management or Health Administration.
- Certification in Health Information Management (RHIA). Additional specialty certifications are a plus (i.e., CHDA, CCS, CHPS).
- Three years or more of health care experience; preferably in health information management, coding, health informatics, health care program/project management, systems analysis and technology management, health care information governance and business analytics, data visualization, biostatistics, clinical research, grant writing or informatics (including knowledge of current practice in healthcare facilities).
- Experience teaching online courses at a college level.
- Proficient in use of learning management system and online course design and delivery principles.
- Commitment to supporting and mentoring students to include informative feedback and responses within 24-48 hours.
- An terminal degree (PhD, EdD, DHA, DPH, DHSc, etc.) from a regionally accredited university in a health-related degree or a combination of an earned terminal degree with a Masters in Health Care Administration, Health Informatics, Health Information Management, Public Health, Nursing (or other licensed health profession), Health Policy, Health Care Management, Health Sciences, or other health care related degrees for the graduate courses. Experience in meeting ADA online course/instruction requirements
- Certification in Health Information Management (RHIA). Additional specialty certifications are a plus (i.e., CHDA, CCS, CHPS)
- Recent extensive experience in health informatics, data analysis, data visualization, program management, information governance, health care information technology or data analytics for the graduate courses
- Three years or more of academic experience teaching at a college level in area of HIIM discipline
- Three years academic experience teaching in the online classroom and instruction of “non-traditional” students
- Proficient in Quality Matters online course design and delivery principles
- Knowledge of AHIMA curricular competencies, course development and design, curriculum mapping, and assessment
- Experience in research design and research methods with a demonstrated ability to publish research findings
Stephens College offers excellent benefits, including vacation/holiday/sick pay, health/dental/life insurance, tuition waiver and College-paid retirement plan.
Instructions for Resume Submission:
Qualified applicants should complete an online Stephens College application with the following:
- A cover letter that describes how the applicant’s qualifications and experience align with the job description
- Current curriculum vitae
- A list of three references with contact information
Review of applicants will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. The successful candidate must pass a criminal background check.
Stephens College is an Affirmative Action /Equal Opportunity Employer. A diverse community on campus is valued, so women, minorities, veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Apply Online: https://hire.stephens.edu/JobApplication.php