University of Kansas Health System
Position Summary/Career Interest
The HIM CODER II is a coding position requiring a minimum of 2 years hospital inpatient experience. Responsibilities include / diagnosis and procedural coding utilizing CD-10-CM/PCS for accurate DRG assignment. They will have daily interactions with Clinical Documentation Specialists, internal and external customers to include physicians, hospital support services and ancillary departments.
- Demonstrates competence in the areas of critical thinking, interpersonal relationships, and technical skills.
- Primarily codes Inpatient encounters at 17 per/ 8 hours workday.
- Works Collaboratively with the clinical documentation program to achieve accurate DRG assignment and appropriate mortality and severity scores.
- Maintain a thorough understanding of anatomy and physiology, medical terminology, disease processes and surgical techniques through participation in continuing education programs to effectively apply ICD-10-CM/PCS and CPT-4 coding guidelines to inpatient and outpatient diagnoses and procedures.
- Correlate information from approved supporting clinical documentation not limited to Pathology, Radiology and/or other Physician
- Consultations after review by the Attending Physician, wherever appropriate.
- Abstracts all clinical data with a high degree of accuracy to utilized in research and benchmarking by the hospital, UKP, and the University as well as numerous third parties such as UHC, KDHE, HIDI and CMS.
- Communicate with nursing and ancillary services personnel for needed documentation for accurate coding.
- Provide real-time feedback to surgical/procedural providers as it pertains to proper coding and clinical documentation of services performed .
- Maintains/processes claim edits to assure timely billing.
- Works collaboratively to achieve minimum bill days at 4 days from discharge or below for inpatient accounts.
- Coders maintain prioritized workflow through cooperative work distribution (i.e. prioritization of charts by discharge date and total charges).
- Perform other related duties incidental to the work described herein.
- Coding accuracy of 95%; Productivity met per day: Inpatient: 17 charts/day avg.
*Must be able to perform the professional, clinical and or technical competencies of the assigned unit or department.
*Note: These statements are intended to describe the essential functions of the job and are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities. Skills and duties may vary dependent upon your department or unit. Other duties may be assigned as required.
- Associates or Bachelor’s Degree In Health Information Management, or Coding Certificate In Health Information Management (AHIMA)
- Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA) or Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT) or Certified Coding Specialist (CCS)
- Requires minimum 2 years coding experience in inpatient using ICD-10
- Utilizing ICD-10 Coding Guidelines
- Basic ICD-10-CM/PCS, understand and apply appropriate CMS guidelines to coding
- Basic DRG/APC reimbursement knowledge
- Bachelor’s degree in related HIM field
- Epic Experience
Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA) or Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT) or Certified Coding Specialist (CCS)
Position will be remote after in office training is completed.
Apply Online: https://www.kansashealthsystem.com/careers